- Centre College (Danville, KY). Associate Professor of Environmental Studies. 2018-present.
- Assistant Professor 2013-2018.
- Chair of Environmental Studies (2014-present). Program Member: Politics, Philosophy.
- University of Illinois-Springfield. Assistant Professor of Environmental Studies. 2012-2013.
- South Dakota State University. Post-doctoral Research Associate in Landscape Ecology. 2011-2012.
- Centre College. Mellon Fellow in Environmental Studies. 2009-2011.
- St. Olaf College. Visiting Instructor in History and Environmental Studies. 2007-2009.
- University of Minnesota, Twin Cities. Graduate Instructor in Rhetoric and Environmental Studies. 2004-2009.
Consulting and Part-time Employment
- Ecology Research Consultant (Wetland Ecology, Ecological Modeling, Floodplain Forest Ecology, Landscape Ecology). 2005-present.
- Muddy Pumpkin Farms (Oacoma, SD). Farmer, Gardener, Storyteller, Communications. 2010-present.
- PhD. University of Minnesota, Twin Cities. Rhetoric & Scientific Communication. Focus: Environmental Rhetoric, Science and Ethics, American Pragmatism. Defense: 2009. Degree: 2010.
- MA. University of Minnesota, Twin Cities. Rhetoric & Scientific Communication. Focus: Rhetoric of Environmental Policy and Politics. Defense: 2005. Degree: 2006.
- BA. St. Olaf College. Mathematics. Models of the Environment (self-designed, integrative major). 2003.
Centre College (2009-2011, 2012, 2013-present)
- Introduction to Environmental Studies (Fall and Spring every year)
- Senior Seminar in Environmental Studies (Fall 2013-2018)
- Rivers and Adaptive Ecosystem Management (Springs 2014, 2015, 2017; Fall 2019)
- Environmental Education & Conservation in Thailand & Singapore (January 2019)
- Environmental Policy (Spring 2014; Spring 2016; Fall 2017; Fall 2019)
- Asia & the Environment Interdisciplinary Lab (Spring 2015, Fall 2016, Fall 2018)
- Thailand, Aquaculture, and the Environment (January 2017)
- Environmental Ethics (One section/year 2014-present)
- Human Dimensions of Climate Change (Spring 2016; January 2018)
- Public Policy (When time allows: last time Spring 2015)
- Food and Campus Sustainability (January 2010, 2012, 2014)
Publications and Research
- Werner, B., J. Tracy, W.C. Johnson, R. Voldseth, G. Guntenspergen, B. Millett. 2016. Modeling the effects of tile drain placement on the hydrologic function of farmed prairie wetlands. Journal of the American Water Resources Association.
- Johnson, W.C., B. Werner, G. Guntenspergen. Non-linear responses of Prairie Pothole wetlands to climate warming. Climatic Change. January 2016. 134 (1): 209-223.
- Rashford, B.S., R.M. Adams, J. Wu, R.A. Voldseth, G. Guntenspergen, B.A. Werner, W.C. Johnson. 2015. Impacts of Climate Change on Land-Use and Wetland Productivity in the Prairie Pothole Region of North America. Regional Environmental Change. January 2015.
- Hagy, H.M., S.C. Yaich, J.W. Simpson, E. Carrera, D.A. Haukos, W.C. Johnson, C.R. Loesch, F.A. Reid, S.E. Stephens, R.W. Tiner, B. Werner, G.S. Yarris. 2014. Wetland issues affecting waterfowl conservation in North America. Wildfowl. Special Issue 4: 343-367. December 2014.
- Zilverberg, C.J., W.C. Johnson, A. Boe, V. Owens, D. Archer, C. Novotny, M. Volke, B. Werner. 2014. Growing Spartina pectinata in previously farmed prairie wetlands for economic and ecological benefits. Wetlands. June 2014.
- Zilverberg, C.J., W.C. Johnson, V. Owens, A. Boe, T. Schumacher, K. Reitsma, C.O. Hong, C. Novotny, M. Volke, B. Werner. 2014. Biomass yield from planted mixtures and monocultures of native prairie vegetation across a heterogeneous farm landscape. Agriculture, Ecosystems, and the Environment. March 2014.
- Werner, B., W.C. Johnson, G.R. Guntenspergen. 2013. Evidence for 20th century climate warming and wetland drying in the North American Prairie Pothole Region. Ecology and Evolution. September 2013.
- Johnson, W. Carter, R. Adams, P. Fay, G. Guntenspergen, B. Millett, J. Olker, B. Rashford, M. Tulbure, R. Voldseth, Werner. 2012. Non-linear response of prairie pothole landscapes to climate change and land management. Final Report to the Environmental Protection Agency STAR Grant Program, Washington, DC. 7 pp.
- Johnson, W.C., M. Dixon, M. Scott, L. Rabbe, G. Larson, M. Volke, B. Werner. 2012. Forty Years of Riparian Vegetation Change on the Missouri River Floodplain. BioScience. February 2012.
- Johnson, W.C., B. Werner, G. Guntenspergen, R. Voldseth, B. Millett, D. Naugle, M. Tulbure, R. Carroll, J. Tracy. 2010. Prairie Wetland Complexes as Landscape Functional Units in a Changing Climate. BioScience. February 2010.
- Werner, B. Review of: The World In Which We Occur by Neil Browne. Interdisciplinary Studies in Literature and Environment (ISLE), Summer 2008.
Other teaching experience
University of Illinois, Springfield (2012-2013)
- Introduction to Sustainability (Fall 2012)
- Sustainable Food Systems (Fall 2012): Online graduate course
- American Environmental History (Spring 2013)
- Literature and the Environment (Spring 2013)
- Knowledge and Epistemology: How do you know? (Spring 2013): Honors seminar, team-taught with David Bertaina
South Dakota State University (2012)
- Assisted Carter Johnson with Landscape Ecology (developed and taught lab section), graduate course in Natural Resource Management
St. Olaf College (2007-2009)
- History Seminar: Environmental Justice (Upper-Level)
- History Seminar: Environmental Discourse (First Year)
- Environmental Studies Seminar: Saving Wild Places (Upper-Level)
- First Year Writing: The Future (Climate Change, Peak Oil, Human Augmentation)
- American Environmental History
University of Minnesota, Twin Cities (2004-2009)
- In Search of Nature
- Issues in Science and Technology Studies
- (Teaching Assistant for) Issues in the Environment